Monday 17 August 2015

Te quiero, by Mario Benedetti

My cousin Simon asked me to read a poem at his wedding in August 2015 in Barrow Gurney. I read Te quiero, by Mario Benedetti. Lots of people asked to read the text, so here it is.


I LOVE YOU, by Mario Benedetti.

Your hands are my tender caress, my daily reminders.
I love you because your hands work for justice.

If I love you it's because you are my love, my accomplice and my everything.
And in the street, hand in hand, we are many more than two.

Your eyes are my magic that saves a terrible day.
I love you for your gaze that plans and plants the future.

I love you for your mouth that is yours and mine, your mouth that does not lie.
I love you because your mouth knows how to shout rebellion.

If I love you it's because you are my love, my accomplice and my everything.
And in the street, arm in arm, we are many more than two.

And I love you for your open face
and your rambler's footstep
and your passion for the world
and because you are one of us
I love you.

And because love is not a halo
nor a morality tale
and because we are a couple
that knows it is not alone.

I love you in our paradise
here, in our countries
where people can live happily
with or without permission.

So, if I love you it's because you are my accomplice and my everything.
And in the street, hand in hand, we are many more than two.

*

Note on the translation: When Simon asked me to read 'something Latin American' at his wedding to John, I knew straight away that I wanted to read something by Mario Benedetti. I took his collected poems 'El amr ...' off my shelf, and they fell open at Te Quiero. The poem's blend of attitude and sentimentality is perfect for the happy couple. I looked for an English translation but couldn't find one I liked. I used some sections of Nina Serrano's translation, which you can read here, and did bespoke translations of the rest which felt relatively esy because I had the two people I was translating for directly in mind. It was an honour and a pleasure.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, great poem! I'll share it with my partners at https://uautonoma.cl/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maharashtra 12th Model Paper 2022 is Very Important for Public Exam Preparation, Each Student adopts All sorts of ways to get a good Score in the MSBSHSE, Students can Download Maha Board HSC Model Paper 2022 the Maharashtra 12th Solved Paper 2022 for the Upcoming Examination as Pdf Format. This webpage Available here for Download, Good News Students who are Searching for the Maha Board 12th Model Test Paper 2022 has been Uploaded the All Subject Wise Download to the Students who are Going to Appear in the MSBSHSE.

    ReplyDelete